Kaz: Hello, I'm Kaz.
卡兹:大家好,我是卡兹。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li. Hey Kaz, why are we listening to this rocket launch?
杨丽:我是杨丽。嘿卡兹,你为什么在听这个火箭发射?Kaz: Well, it's dramatic, but there's another reason. I thought it could introduce today's expression.
卡兹:因为它很激动人心,但是还有另一个原因。我觉得它可以引出今天的短语。
Yang Li: Tell me more.
杨丽:告诉我更多吧。Kaz: The expression is 'It's not rocket science'.
卡兹:短语是“这不是火箭科学”。Yang Li: 'It's not rocket science', meaning?
杨丽:“这不是火箭科学”意思是?Kaz: Something that's not complicated or difficult to understand - 'it's not rocket science'.
卡兹:某事并不复杂或很难理解——“这么简单的事情”。Yang Li: For example?
杨丽:比如?Kaz: OK. Somebody can't get the television to work and asks you, "How do I switch this thing on?" You would say "It's not rocket science. Just press 'on' on the handset".
卡兹:好的。某人不能打开电视机然后问你,“我怎么打开这个?”你可以说“这么简单的事情。只要按一下遥控器的开键就行。”Yang Li: So there's nothing complicated about it. You just press the 'on' switch and away you go. But is the expression 'it's not rocket science' only used for gadgets?
杨丽:所以这并没有什么复杂的。你只是按了开键然后你就走了。但是“这么简单的事情”这个短语是不是只用在小玩意上?Kaz: No, not at all, Li. In fact it's used for many situations that are just obvious... for example - why are we always short of money?
卡兹:不,并不是,丽。事实上它用在很多清楚明白的情境下...比如,为什么我们总是缺钱?Yang Li: Well, it's not rocket science Kaz - we don't get paid enough!
杨丽:这么简单的事情卡兹——我们的工资不够多!Kaz: Brilliant Li. That's an excellent example.
卡兹:精彩丽。这是个完美的例子。Yang Li: Yes, I like it too. But let's listen to some more examples:
杨丽:是的,我也喜欢。但是让我们来听更多的例子:How do I cook this soup?
我应该怎样煮这个汤?Come on Rob, it's not rocket science, all you have to do is open the tin and heat it up.
别这样罗伯,这么简单的事情,你只需要打开罐头然后加热。I can't understand why our company is in such a mess?
我不能理解为什么我们的公司这么混乱?It's not rocket science to figure that out - there are too many managers!
这么容易理解的事情——有太多的经理了!Yang Li: OK Kaz, the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is used for situations that are obvious. But I get the feeling that the phrase 'it's not rocket science' is quite informal, right?
杨丽:好的卡兹,短语“这么简单的事情”用在非常明显的情境下。但是我觉得“这并不是火箭科学”不太正式,是吗?Kaz: You're right Li. So please use with care!
卡兹:你说得对丽。那么请小心使用!Yang Li: Absolutely.
杨丽:当然了。Kaz: It's usually used with the negative 'It's not rocket science'.
卡兹:它通常情况下和否定一起用“这并不是火箭科学”。Yang Li: Well, I'm sure of one thing Kaz.
杨丽:我很确定一件事卡兹。Kaz: What's that Li?
卡兹:那是什么丽?Yang Li: Presenting this programme is not exactly rocket science - it's easy!
杨丽:做这个节目并不是火箭科学——这很简单!Both: Bye!
一起:再见!